Thursday 31 May 2012

Mexican chicken

While I was out during my lunch break yesterday, I bought some avocados from a vegetable stand for 50p each. I knew right away that I wanted guacamole, but as I'm on a low-carb diet, corn chips for dipping were out of the question. I decided to do something with chicken and fresh salsa and this is what I came up with. It's simple but yummy and the fresh lime, coriander (cilantro) and avocado really liven up the boring chicken.

I started by seasoning the chicken breasts with ground cumin, lime juice and salt, then cooking them in olive oil. For chicken breasts I usually heat oil over medium high heat, then add the breasts and sear them on both sides before covering and cooking over medium until done. This gives the chicken a nice flavour without drying it out.

While the chicken was cooking, I made my guacamole and salsa.

 

Guacamole
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
fresh lime juice to taste (two good squeezes)
handful of chopped tomatoes
handful of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
salt, pepper and garlic powder

Mash the avocado until smooth, add other ingredients and mix.

Salsa
1 medium tomato, chopped
handful of coriander (cilantro)
fresh lime juice to taste (one good squeeze)
salt, pepper and garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and let sit until ready to use.


 

When the chicken was finished cooking, I just topped it with the guacamole and salsa and it was ready to eat. I served the chicken with a salad and spicy ranch dressing.

2 comments:

  1. I think i'm going to have to try this one :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get your avocados from the veg stand on Queen's walk. They were a really good price and perfectly ripe :)

      Delete